Many Christians are grappling with the issue of faith, Mormonism, and the presidential election. Even Ben Stein, a conservative economist, recently asked in a post for The American Spectator, “What does is mean that Mitt Romney is Mormon?”
I have one answer: The question is not about faith in this election. It is a question of character.
I am an evangelical Christian. I have studied, written, and taught classes on different theologies, including cults. I have talked to Mormons, witnessed to Mormons, and have friends that are Mormons. Do I personally believe Mormons are Christians? No. So how do I justify my vote for a man who, in my opinion, is not a Christian? The best explanation I can give can be found in articles that I received from the Lamb and Lion newsletter. To be honest, I had never read any of Dr. David Reagan’s writings, nor did I know of his ministry (OK, Mom, I should read what you send me…) but Reagan offers clear and concise answers as to why we, as Christians, should vote for Mitt Romney.
Dr. David Reagan writes in his newsletter:
A Clear Choice
We are confronted with a real choice. It is not a matter of Tweedledee and Tweedledum.
On one hand, we have a candidate who is a non-Christian Mormon. He believes in traditional family and moral values, he respects the heritage of America, he supports Israel, he recognizes Islam as our nation’s enemy, and he believes in Capitalism.
On the other hand, we have a candidate who is a non-Christian Humanist. He rejects traditional family and moral values, he despises our nation’s heritage, he holds Israel in contempt, he loves Islam, and he believes in Socialism.
In another article, he writes:
Respect the Office? Yes. ALWAYS RESPECT THE OFFICE!
Respect the Man in the Office? No, I am sorry to say.
I have noted that many elected officials, both Democrats and Republicans, have called upon America to unite behind Obama.
Well, I want to make it clear to all who will listen that I AM NOT uniting behind Obama!
I will respect the Office which he holds, and I will acknowledge his abilities as an orator and wordsmith and pray for him, BUT that is it!
I have begun today to see what I can do to make sure that he is a one-term President! Why am I doing this?
It is because:
- I do not share Obama’s vision or value system for America;
- I do not share his Abortion beliefs;
- I do not share his radical Marxist’s concept of re-distributing wealth;
- I do not share his stated views on raising taxes on those who make $150,000+ (the ceiling has been changed three times since August);
- I do not share his view that America is Arrogant;
- I do not share his view that America is not a Christian Nation;
- I do not share his view that the military should be reduced by 25%; – I do not share his view of amnesty and giving more to illegal’s than our American Citizens who need help;
- I do not share his views on homosexuality and his definition of marriage;
- I do not share his views that Radical Islam is our friend and Israel is our enemy who should give up any land;
- I do not share his spiritual beliefs (at least the ones he has made public);
- I do not share his beliefs on how to re-work the healthcare system in America;
- I do not share his Strategic views of the Middle East; and
- I certainly do not share his plan to sit down with terrorist regimes such as Iran.
Bottom line: my America is vastly different from Obama’s, and I have a higher obligation to my Country and my GOD to do what is Right!
They have been a vocal and irreverent minority for years! They have mocked and attacked the very core values so important to the founding and growth of our Country! They have made every effort to remove the name of GOD or Jesus Christ from our Society!
They have challenged capital punishment, the right to bear firearms, and the most basic principles of our criminal code!
They have attacked one of the most fundamental of all Freedoms, the right of free speech! Unite behind Obama? Never!
Majority rules in America, and I will honor the concept; however, I will fight with all of my power to be a voice in opposition to Obama and his “goals for America …
I am going to be a thorn in the side of those who, if left unchecked, will destroy our Country! Any more compromise is more defeat!
I pray that the results of this election will wake up many who have sat on the sidelines and allowed the Socialist-Marxist anti-GOD crowd to slowly change so much of what has been good in America!
GOD bless you and GOD bless our Country!
“If we ever forget that we’re one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under.” -Ronald Reagan